Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Favorite Quotes

I love books (and sites) of quotations (also proverbs).* There's nothing new under the sun, so I like to see what's already been said!

Since we are The Write Sisters, I thought I'd treat you to a few of my favorite quotes for writers. Please feel free to share your favorites!

All art is knowing when to stop.
Toni Morrison

What some people may not know about my books is that a very thin book usually means a very fat wastebasket.
Beatrice Schenk de Regniers

Every writer is a frustrated actor who recites his lines in the hidden auditorium of his skull.
Rod Serling

Always be a poet, even in prose.
Charles Baudelaire

Writing is a pleasure, and I feel that if I did not enjoy writing, no one would enjoy reading my books.
Beverly Cleary

Imagination, n. A warehouse of facts, with poet and liar in joint ownership.
Ambrose Bierce

The writer does the same as the child at play; he creates a world of fantasy which he takes very seriously.
Sigmund Freud

Writing means summoning oneself to court and playing the judge's part.
Henrik Ibsen

The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.
Mark Twain

It is often necessary for a writer to distort the particulars of experience in order to see them better.
Wallace Stegner

I find the great charm of writing consists in its surprises.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Everything in the world exists in order that it may end up in a book.
Randall Short

The two most beautiful words in the English language are "check enclosed."
Dorothy Parker

What writer doesn't agree with that?


--Diane



*You may have suspected that I have one of those quotes sites! Mine is Kurious Kitty's Kwotes and I'm pretty good at making sure I get a quote posted every day!

No comments: