Friday, January 2, 2009

Poetry Friday--Inspiration for the New Year






ART
Author Unknown

The hen remarked to the mooley cow,
As she cackled her daily lay,
(That is, the hen cackled) "It's funny how
I'm good for an egg a day.


I'm a fool to do it, for what do I get?
My food and my lodging. My!
But the poodle gets that-he's the household pet,
And he never has laid a single egg yet--
Not even when eggs are high."


The mooley cow remarked to the hen,
As she masticated her cud,
(That is, the cow did) "Well, what then?
You quit, your name is mud.
I'm good for eight gallons of milk each day,
And I'm given my stable and grub;
But the parrot gets that much, anyway,--
All she can gobble--and what does she pay?
Not a dribble of milk, the dub!
But the hired man remarked to the pair,
"You get all that's coming to you.
The poodle does tricks, and the parrot can swear,
Which is better than you can do.
You're necessary, but what's the use
Of bewailing your daily part?
You're bourgeois--working's your only excuse;
You can't do nothing but just produce--
What them fellers does is ART!"


The moral to this poem: Don't be "bourgeois." Go out and produce some art! It could make all the difference in the quality of your life.






This week's Poetry Roundup is being hosted by A Year of Reading http://readingyear.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha ha! Good advice, Mur!

Jet