Friday, April 3, 2009

Poetry Friday: Spring poems

It's gray and gloomy today, but this week my morning walks have been filled with birdsong - the most beautiful of poems, but impossible to post!


Instead, I offer these two classics:


APRIL - An altered look about the hills by Emily Dickinson

An altered look about the hills;

A Tyrian light the village fills;

A wider sunrise in the dawn;

A deeper twilight on the lawn;

A print of a vermilion foot;

A purple finger on the slope;

A flippant fly upon the pane;

A spider at his trade again;

An added strut in chanticleer;

A flower expected everywhere;

An axe shrill singing in the woods;

Fern-odors on untravelled roads,


All this, and more I cannot tell,

A furtive look you know as well,

And Nicodemus' mystery

Receives its annual reply.




Answer to a Child's Question
by Samuel Taylor Coleridge


Do you ask what the birds say?

The sparrow, the dove,

The linnet and thrush say,

"I love and I love!"


In the winter they're silent - the wind is so strong;

What it says, I don't know, but it sings a loud song.


But green leaves, and blossoms, and sunny warm weather,

And singing, and loving - all come back together.

But the lark is so brimful of gladness and love,

The green fields below him, the blue sky above,

That he sings, and he sings; and forever sings he -

"I love my Love, and my Love loves me!"

1 comment:

Sally said...

Poetry Friday is here:
http://ayuddha.net/2009/04/03/poetry/