Monday, May 17, 2010

Mentor Monday: Writers @ Work


"I get up at four AM (I found out I'm a morning person).  At that time of the morning, you are closer to the roots of the imagination.  At the end of the day the edge is off -- you're not the same person as you were in the morning.  I rarely break this routine.  You do give up an awful lot.

           -- Lloyd Alexander




"Constant toil is the law of art."

                         -- Balzac















"A day in which I don't write leaves a taste of ashes."

                               --Simone de Beauvoir













"I get up and I have coffee and I speak to no man and I go to my desk."

           -- Hortense Calisher                   

3 comments:

Andrea Murphy said...

I love Balzac's and Calisher's pictures. Those are two styling writers. I'm with Alexander, by the way. If I don't get started in the morning, I don't get anything meaningful accomplished.

Mur said...

I'm with Calisher: coffee and no conversation for several hours, if possible.

I'm Jet . . . said...

Calisher looks like a very cool person in that photo.

I once thought that I could only get writing work done in the morning, but lately I've found that even grabbing little chunks of time here and there works, too. Morning is still my best time, though.

Thanks for your comments!

J