Friday, December 10, 2010

Poetry Friday: A News Junkie's Lament

Apparently some things never change.

Everybody Tells Me Everything
by Ogden Nash

I find it very difficult to enthuse
Over the current news.
Just when you think that at least the outlook is so black 
that it can grow no blacker,
it worsens,
And that is why I do not like the news, 

because there has never been an era when
so many things were going
so right for so many of the wrong persons.

I've been thinking of John Lennon who is 30 years dead this week. A Day in the Life, in my opinion, is among his greatest works. "I read the news today. Oh, boy." 

For all the poetry fit to print (sorry New York Times), go to Alphabet Soup, where Jama is hosting Poetry Friday. 

1 comment:

Mur said...

Love Ogden Nash, Andy, and had never read this one. Thanks for sharing!