Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Women (Young People) of Wednesday

I come from a generation that was privileged to hear wonderful speakers. By their words alone they were able to engage, encourage, and empower large groups of people. At age 11 I heard one man say “…ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country.” When I was 13, another man proclaimed “I have a dream.” At 19, I stayed awake until the early hours of July 20th to hear a third man announce “One small step for [a] man; one giant leap for mankind” as he took the very first walk on the moon. I often told my children that I did not think they’d had the good fortune of being inspired by such imposing words. In a way, I was right, but that’s because I failed to understand that words don’t have to be spoken to be powerful. I didn’t realize that it would be different kinds of words--short cryptic lines sent through cyberspace--that would engage, encourage, and empower this generation. The Write Sisters usually devote Wednesdays to honor women and their stories of accomplishment. But today is April 6th. It is the 3rd anniversary of the founding of the April 6 Youth Movement. If you go to the Movement’s Facebook page you will learn where to find them: Office: Every place in Egypt Location: Everywhere Those two lines say it all. The young people united in cyberspace have used their words to launch change. Perhaps this generation will not have a bunch of quotes to repeat and remember. Words sent through the internet are not meant to be held down, but they are just as powerful in their somewhat ethereal existence. They have inspired international change in an unpredictable way. Other, similar, cyber youth movements have followed their lead. We are all amazed at the events occurring in Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, and Morocco. So, happy anniversary April 6 Youth Movement. I’ll be waiting to “hear” what else you have to say.

4 comments:

Andrea Murphy said...

I love this post!

Diane Mayr said...

I'll have to check out the Facebook page. Thanks!

Mur said...

Hmmm...had trouble with the set-up. It kept getting tossed back into giant paragraph format. I thought I'd had it under control but evidently not. Sorry for the lack of white space.

I'm Jet . . . said...

What an interesting and important take on this subject.

J