Friday, September 9, 2011

Poetry Friday--"Poet's work"

This week I've been posting about workers and this poem by Lorine Niedecker is about a job that one never need fear losing!
Poet’s work

Grandfather
   advised me:
          Learn a trade

I learned
   to sit at desk
          and condense

No layoff
   from this
          condensery
I know nothing about Niedecker, so I was happy to find a slideshow of her life here.

Head over to Secrets and Sharing Soda for this week's Round-Up. Isn't that a great name for a blog?

5 comments:

Mary Lee said...

Poet as condenser -- love it!!

Author Amok said...

Thanks for sharing the link to the slide show. I'd never heard of her either.

GatheringBooks said...

Only the truth shall remain, distilled version of life. Nice job for poets indeed. ;-)

Diane Mayr said...

I went to www.abe.com and found a reasonably priced copy of her Collected Works. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Katie said...

I'm glad you like my blog name. We have Joni Mitchell to thank for it.

I love this poem. There's just something about the word condensery that rubs me the right way.