Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I Know It's Only Rock 'n Roll, But I like It, I Like It, Yes I do!


The other day, I was searching for some allen wrenches and found an old box of records in the closet. Feeling nostalgic, I pulled them out to play on my stereo. Unfortunately, there wasn’t a needle in the arm. Major bummer. (The youngsters are going ‘Huh? What?’) But it did get me thinking about the women of Rock ‘n Roll and who all was around today to carry on the tradition.

Alas and alack, I could think of no one. Avril Lavigne was suggested to me. I did not even try to hide my laughter. It seems the female rocker, not to be confused with the female pop artist, is a dying breed. So I have created a sort of mini-concert in honor of the women who took me through my teens. I couldn’t include them all. This is a blog, after all. So I included my favorites. And hats off to the women I didn’t include - Stevie Nicks, Pat Benetar, Heart, Melissa Etheridge, and the Vixens, to name a few. Rock on!

Joan Jett

Who's tougher than Joan? She recently made a come-back when the movie, The Runaways, came out last year, which followed the rise of her all girl band (pre Blackhearts) to stardom. Now a new generation has ‘discovered’ her.



Grace Slick

Grace is alive and well and making a living as a commercial artist. She paints a lot of rabbits.



Janis Joplin

What can you say about Janis? Nobody does Summertime better than her, IMO.



Tina Turner

Simply the best. The Queen of Rock ‘n Roll. Take a look at that crowd. Thousands and thousands of people paid good money to watch a seventy year-old woman in a mini dress sing and dance and shake her booty on stage. Is there another person in the world, male or female, who could do this? She sings, she dances, she puts on one heck of a show, and she does it without lip-synching or having a recording playing in her ear. And she’s seventy here!



And in case you are shedding a tear at this point, thinking the female rocker will soon become extinct, take heart, and take a listen to six year-old Zoe (at the time the video was made.) She plays a mean Metallica (listen to her Enter Sandman) and her Pirates of the Carribean is pretty good, too. Here, she does Linkin Park, and she is clearly enjoying herself. The ending is priceless.

Zoe




Hey, hey, my, my.
Rock ‘n Roll will never die.

4 comments:

Diane Mayr said...

It does my old heart good. Thanks, Barb!

I'm Jet . . . said...

Love the Rocker Chicks! Fab post, B!

Andrea Murphy said...

Loved this post, Barb. Thanks for the lift!

Sally said...

I have a turntable with a needle, Barb!